1980s Soviet metal pin of Slavianski Bazaar (славянский базар), the first Russian restaurant (Рестора́н) in Moscow. Built in 1872, Slavianski Bazaar was a hotel and entertainment complex, then later the Moscow Art Theatre was created when the theater director Konstantin Sergeevich Stanislavsky met with the playwright and teacher Vladimir Ivanovich Nemirovich-Danchenko.
Prior to Slavianski Bazaar, restaurants were opened exclusively by the French, and only taverns with large wooden tables and sooty ceilings were Russians. In the Slavianski Bazaar, the cuisine was also Russian but the service was European. There was a long period that the Bazaar was turned into a closed food point for senior officials of the Central Committee and the Council of Ministers until 1966.
On December 21, 1993, a fire broke out in the restaurant building. Only the brick frame with facade decoration has been preserved. Today the building belongs to the Musical Theatre.
- Slavianski Bazaar, year unknown
- Fire broke out in 1993
More about the Memories of Slavianski Bazaar HERE
2.2 x 2.5cm